Pages

Monday 1 January 2018

Summer Learning Journey - 01-01-18

Summer Learning Journey 2018

Week One: In The Beginning (1800 - 1870)


Day One: Arriving in New Zealand
01-01-18

Activity 1: The First Settlers
Many believe that the first people to come to New Zealand were Polynesians, around 700 years ago.

Maui was a very important figure in Maori mythology. His story 'Maui and the Giant Fish' is well known.

  • Although Maui was younger than his brothers, he wanted to keep up with them and be as good as them at activities like fishing. He continuously tried to prove himself to them, and never gave up even when they made it difficult for him. He was resilient and determined.
  • He was very persistent and headstrong. Even when his brothers left without him to go fishing and made it very clear they didn't want him there, he still wove a fishing line and hid under the hull of the canoe.
  • He was a very good fisherman. When he was on the canoe reciting his karakia, his brothers caught more fish than they even had before. When he left his line down with only a small bit of his own blood on the hook, he managed to catch a huge fish immediately.
Image result for maui and the sun

Another one of Maui's legends I have heard is of how he slowed the sun. He believed that there wasn't enough time in the day to complete chores and gather food. He didn't want the length of his days to be dictated by the sun anymore. So, he gathered all his whanau and created a mission, to capture the sun and make their days longer. At first, everyone was too afraid to help, but after hearing a recount of all the things Maui had achieved, they decided to assist. First they weaved flax into ropes and gathered supplies, then they were off on their quest. They traveled for 12 days, and on the twelfth night they came across the Sun asleep in his pit. Overnight, they built huts to hide their ropes, and built a wall to shelter themselves. When the Sun awoke at dawn, they all pulled tightly on the ropes and captured the Sun. Using the power of his magic jawbone, Maui ordered the Sun to travel much slower over the sky. Because of this, Maui and his whanau's days were much longer.

Activity 2: Setting Sail
The first settlers of New Zealand had to sail on a waka across the ocean miles away from their homes.

Image result for waka
Letter to friend while on board a waka travelling to a new country:
Dear friend,
How is our home? Even though it has only been a few weeks, it feels as if it's been years. The waka is very small and as there are a lot of people aboard, it is very cramped. My arms are sore from all the rowing I have been doing, but as the youngest on board I am allowed a few breaks a day. Although travelling to England is a huge opportunity, I am very nervous. What will the people be like? How about the culture? The weather? The schooling? It's going to be very strange not seeing you and my family everyday, but we can keep in contact over letters once a week. You can tell me about home and school, and I can tell you about the terrifying new things I will be doing here.
Thinking of you always,
Crystal.

Bonus Activity: Waka Ama
Image result for waka amaThere is a sporting competition where both boys and girls race in waka, called 'Waka Ama'.

One day I would love to race in the Waka Ama, as it looks very lively and entertaining. It brings whanau together and sets a goal to work towards. The training for competitive would be a bit too challenging for me, but I would enjoy participating for fun with my friends and family.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Crystal,

    I'm so glad that you've chosen to participate in the Summer Learning Journey program! You've done an excellent job describing Maui's qualities and I appreciate learning more about his mythology through your story about slowing the sun. Thank you for that.

    I live in Canada but my daughter, Rachel, and grandson, Aronui live in Auckland and Aronui is of Maori heritage. I'm keen to learn about Maori history and culture for his sake as well as my own. He is proud to be a Maori boy.

    Your letter 'home' is well written, and I would feel, as you do, that participating in a Waka Ama race would be fun provided there wasn't too competitive an edge to the experience!

    I hope you're having a wonderful summer holiday time and that you'll continue to enjoy your Summer Learning Journey. I'll watch out for your blog postings...

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leslie.

      Thank you very much.

      What is Canada like? I would love you visit there one day!

      Have a nice holiday.

      Crystal

      Delete
  2. Hi there Crystal

    Welcome to the Summer Learning Journey! My name is Jade F and I am one of the bloggers in your school cluster.

    Great start on your blog posting. I really liked reading your facts about Maui and how detailed each point is. It really shows how much thought you put into your answers. Good job! Also great job on the description of other legends that you know of Maui; very well written. Ka pai!

    For you second activity, I thought your letter on the waka was great. I could really picture what you were seeing and feeling on the voyage. I especially liked how you wrote about your arms were tired from rowing and how the boat was crowded. Felt like I was there as well!

    For the bonus activity, I thought you wrote a really well thought out answer and I would agree with you on the sport being very lively and entertaining. I have friends who have participated in waka ama before and it's so exciting to watch! When I was in school I participated in a sport similar to waka ama called dragon boating and it was hard work but so much fun.

    I look forward to reading more of your blog Crystal, keep up the awesome work!

    Cheers
    Jade F :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Crystal - I have been having a look through your summer learning journey and I am impressed by you level of knowledge on a range of subject. I am especially pleased that you seems to have a wide understanding of people and places both in New Zealand and to places and events all over the world. Well done Crystal.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.