Pages

Tuesday 2 January 2018

Summer Learning - 02-01-18

Summer Learning Journey 2018

Day Two: It's All In A Days Work
02-01-18

Activity 1: A House or a Home?
In the 1800's, Maori lived in pa (villages). There were usually three buildings in the pa. The kauta - where people cooked, the pataka - where everything was stored, and the wharepuni - where everyone slept.

Comparing a wharepuni to my home


Similarities
Differences
The shape of both the wharepuni and my house are fairly similar. The triangular roof shape is the same, as are the four walls whose positions are the same in both the wharepuni and my home.
The roof of a wharepuni is usually thatched (made of straw or a similar material), while the roof of my house is made of pressed metal. I would probably rather live under pressed metal than straw as I would be more protected from the elements.
Whanau are brought together in both a wharepuni and my home over birthdays, Christmases, and celebrations.
The walls of a wharepuni were made of materials like timber, fern, rushes (a plant), and bark, while my house is made of plasterboard and bricks. Although having walls made of plants and bark would be unique, I would rather be inside my own home.

Image result for wharepuni Image result for wharepuni



Activity 2: The Rules of Engagement
A long time ago, New Zealand men and women married at a young age. The women would have children and be expected to stay at home with them while the men went off to work.



Bonus Activity: Special Meals
In the 1800's, Maori ate a lot of fish and kumara.

Image result for steamed pork buns

My favourite food are steamed bbq pork buns. I first tried them at a market, and now I love them!
The bun is always soft and sweet, and the filling is delicious and sometimes spicy.

You can find the recipe here: http://thewoksoflife.com/2015/05/steamed-bbq-pork-buns-char-siu-bao/

5 comments:

  1. Hi there Crystal

    Jade F here from the Summer Learning Journey! I absolutely loved reading your post. With your first activity, well done on structuring your similarities and differences in a table, it looks very well organised and your points are all very detailed. Fantastic!

    For your second activity, I think it’s amazing you want to be a lawyer. Lawyers are very determined people and with that strong will and good debating skills you have, you could on the right track to pursuing your dream job one day.

    For your bonus activity, those pork buns looks so delicious! It’s beginning to make me hungry! I might just try that pork bun recipe one day. Have you tried making them before? I used to live in Samoa and my family used to always buy pork buns all the time.

    Looking forward to reading more of your blog posts Crystal, keep it up!

    Cheers

    Jade F :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jade,

      Thank you very much.

      I haven't made them before but I would really like to. I usually have them when I go to the Sunday market with my family.

      Crystal :)

      Delete
  2. Kia Ora Chrystal,

    Its Georgia here from the Kaikohekohe Cluster. I've been having a look through your blog and found this one especially interesting.

    Your similarities and differences between your home and Wharepuni is great. I can tell you've put a lot of thought into your answer. Another difference would be the carvings that are usually on Wharepuni's. I think the maori designs are a great way to present their culture and maori myths visually.

    Choosing lawyer as a dream job is very cool. I study business at University in Wellington and have a lot of friends that are studying to be lawyers. It is a very hard career to get into however I think that if you put your mind to it, you'd make a great lawyer. Have you thought of where you'd like to study to become a lawyer?

    That's a great choice for your favourite meal. My sister used to obsessed with pork buns before she went vegetarian. Have you ever tried to make them at home?

    Nga mihi
    Georgia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Georgia,

      What's studying business like? I'm still not sure exactly what I want to do when I'm older, but being a family lawyer does interest me. I would probably study at the University of Canterbury.

      I haven't made them before, but I would like to. I love eating them at the Sunday markets with my family.

      Crystal :)

      Delete
    2. Kia Ora Crystal,

      Thanks for responding to my comment! Studying business can be very hard but it's also quite interesting. I major in HR (human resource management) so I'm learning about how to do the background management in a company e.g. training, rewards and remuneration, selection processes etc.

      That is cool that you've thought about where you'd like to study. It's always great to explore the options available though. I have quite a few friends at university in Wellington that are originally from Christchurch.

      Markets are a great activity for you to do with your Whanau. What other stalls do they have available there?

      Nga mihi
      Georgia

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.