Pages

Tuesday 9 January 2018

Summer Learning - 09-01-18

Summer Learning Journey 2018

Day Seven: The Roaring 20's (The 1920's)
09-01-18

Activity 1: Popular Culture - The Silent Movie
In the 20's, going to the movies became a much more popular activity. The Civic Theater in Auckland and the Empire De Luxe in Dunedin were two huge theaters built. The most popular types of movies in New Zealand at the time were silent movies.
Image result for charlie chaplin the lions cage
One iconic silent movie is 'The Lion's Cage'.
Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpjEyBKSfJQ
By watching this scene,  I think this movie is about a man in a circus. In this scene, he is trapped in a cage with a lion, and he tries to get the attention of a woman walking past, and when she sees him and the lion she faints. In the end she wakes up and lets him out of the cage.
Because there are no spoken words, actors rely on facial expressions and body language to tell the story. This makes silent films more exciting in that aspect. I think I would enjoy watching a few silent movies as they are a part of history and are pretty cool, but I would prefer going back to normal movies, as I have grown up watching them and they tell the story a bit better.


Activity 2: Art Deco
In the 20's in New Zealand and around the world, 'Art Deco' emerged.

Here is an example: 'Self Portrait', by Tamara de Lempicka.

I give this painting a rating of 3.5 out of 5 (an okay to good painting).
I have given it this rating as I think it is a nice painting, a mix between modern and vintage. It isn't exactly to my taste, but it is a good painting none the less.


Bonus Activity: Crossing the Tasman
In 1928, four men flew from Australia to New Zealand across the Tasman. This was the first time the trip had ever been made. One of the men was a New Zealander named T.H. McWilliams, who operated the radio. The radio stopped working after take off, then rain and ice completely covered the front windscreen, making it impossible for the pilot to see. Fortunately, they landed safely in Christchurch after flying for four hours.

Acrostic poem about finally getting home and seeing my family:
Home is a haven in the shape of a house,
Only my will to get home made my bravery a lion not a mouse,
My heart soared when I saw that big blue door,
Experiencing your love, I know I could never be poor.

2 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Crystal,

    This is Jade C from the Summer Learning Journey 2018! It's amazing to read all your clever ideas and writings that display your deep and critical thinking. I really enjoy reading your blog posts and I wish to read more as we go through the rest of the SLJ activities.

    Today is all about the 'Jazz Age of the 1920s' as known as 'The Roaring 20's! Recently I've watched a movie called "The Great Gatsby", and I've read the novel before watching the movie. It's based on the 'Jazz Age'. Everyone enjoyed the freedom after the war by going to parties, drinking, dancing, and listing to Jazz music!

    I've watched one of Charlie Chaplin's movies but I watched it when I was little so I don't remember the story. I think it was something about him working in a factory and he kept making silly mistakes. Yes, the silent films tend to tell the story in a way that's less direct than the movies that we watch today. Instead, the story is told through facial expressions, body gestures, and the props that help to create settings for different scenes. I really like how you have recognised that and weaved it in your writing.

    I wonder what kind of painting you like, do you like realistic paintings or colourful and exciting paintings? I like realistic portrait paintings that have simple backgrounds so that the focus is on the person.
    I give this 4 out of 5, it's very realistic and the colours are toned down and not disturbing. However, it could also be described as a little bit boring... What do you think?

    I like how you created an acrostic poem related to Tasman. I am stunned by all the metaphors, imagery, descriptive language and rhymes that you've implied in your poem! You have put a lot of thoughts and effort into completing this, Ka Pai :)

    I look forward to reading more of your blog!

    Cheers,
    Jade C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jade,

      What was the book like? I've been meaning to read it and watch the movie but I haven't got around to it.

      I like both types of paintings, but I probably prefer realistic ones too. I like toned down colours with pops of bright colours. I did think the painting was a little bit boring too.

      Thank you :)
      Crystal

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.