Pages

Thursday 4 January 2018

Summer Learning - 04-01-18

Summer Learning Journey 2018

Day Four: Hitting a High Note...
04-01-18

Activity 1: The Waiata - A Song in Your Heart
Maori sing songs as a way of sharing their emotions and information.

I listened to a number of different waiata including - He Honore, Poi E, and Ka Pioioi, but my favourite had to be Pokarakare Ana. The song is about a man sharing his love for a girl. It arose in the north of Auckland at the start of World World One. I think the lyrics are really nice, and I like the tune.

Pōkarekare ana
ngā wai o Waiapu,
Whiti atu koe hine
marino ana e.
E hine e
hoki mai ra.
Ka mate ahau
I te aroha e.

Tuhituhi taku reta
tuku atu taku rīngi,
Kia kite tō iwi
raru raru ana e.

Whati whati taku pene
ka pau aku pepa,
Ko taku aroha
mau tonu ana e.

E kore te aroha
e maroke i te rā,
Mākūkū tonu i
aku roimata e.

This translates to:

They are agitated
the waters of Waiapu,
But when you cross over girl
they will be calm.
Oh girl
return to me,
I could die
of love for you.

I have written my letter
I have sent my ring,
so that your people can see
that I am troubled.

My pen is shattered,
I have no more paper
But my love
is still steadfast.

My love will never
be dried by the sun,
It will be forever moistened
by my tears.

http://folksong.org.nz/pokarekare/index.html


Activity 2: Playing Games
A long time ago, Maori children were taught many games including: Poi Rakau, Ki O Rahi, Koruru Taonga, and Poi Toa. I have played Poi Rakau and Koruru Taonga before.

Poi Rakau
Image result for poi rakauTraditionally the game was used as a training exercise for warriors to improve hand eye co-ordination.
One person stands in the middle, and the others form a circle around him. A rakau sticks are passes around the circle, and the aim of the game is to not drop the rakau or hit any other players with it.
If the person in the middle passes the rakau with his right hand, the catcher must catch it with their left hand and pass it left and vice versa.
To amp the game up, actions can be added like noises and movements that must be done before catching the rakau.


Bonus Activity: Musical Festivals - Matatini
Every two years, a festival called Te Matatini is held in New Zealand. The festival celebrates Maori culture, and Kapa Haka groups from all over New Zealand are invited to give a 25 minute performance.

Out of three performances from previous festivals, I have chosen the one I like the most.

#1 - Te Puku o Te Ika https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4Zjgj9x4Yc
This performance was my favourite because it showed unity in the group. They were paying tribute to someone who had passed away and they were very passionate about their song and their performance.

Image result for te matatini#2 - Tamatea Arikinui
The poi were a wonderful touch and they were all exactly in time. The group was very talented, and the song was nice.

#3 - Te Iti Kahurangi
Although the group were extremely talented, especially the main singer, this performance was the least exciting. The group were very strong and unified though.

6 comments:

  1. Hi there Crystal

    Jade F from the Summer Learning Journey. Great work on your blog post! I really liked that you included the lyrics of your favourite waiata and explained what the song is about; it has a beautiful story behind it.

    For activity #2, awesome job on writing about your chosen Maori game. Poi Rakau looks like a good activity for hand eye coordination practice! You explained the rules very well which is fantastic. Maybe you could add photos of you playing the activity with your family and friends to show each instruction! It will help people who have never played the activity before understand what to do.

    With your bonus activity, I like how you’ve clearly structure your rankings for each performance and each ranking had a really good explanation to back up your reasons. I agree with your comment about Te Puku o te Ika’s performance and how they really show unity and passion in their performance. Great work Crystal!

    Looking forward to reading more of your blog posts

    Cheers

    Jade F :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Crystal,

    This is Jade C from the Summer Learning Journey 2018, I will also be reading your blog posts with Jade F, Hazel, and Rachel over the summer holidays.

    You have stated that your favourite waiata is 'Pokarekare Ana', and this is interesting because my favourite waiata as well. When I was a student teacher in Riverina Primary School, I used to sing waiatas with my class, I even had my ukulele to sing in tune :) I also taught my class how to play 'Pokarekare Ana' on ukulele.

    Did you know that other countries like Korea knows this song? My mum and dad knows this song and they can sing it in Korean! This is because in WW2, New Zealand Soldiers came to Korea and taught them this song :)

    The traditional Maori game that you chose 'Poi Rakau' sounds like an active game that needs a lot of body movement. This will definitely enhance hand-eye-body coordination. This looks like something I need to play!

    I really like how you posted a link of the performance that you chose. I also think that the performers were very passionate and very expressive. I could feel the tension and sorrow throughout the whole performance. Have you ever performed on stage?

    I look forward to reading more of your amazing blog posts!

    All the best,

    Jade C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jade,

      That's really interesting, I would love to go to Korea one day :)

      I was in the choir at primary school and during intermediate so we did lots of performances on stage. I always got super nervous beforehand though. Have you performed before?

      Crystal.

      Delete
  3. Hi Crystal! Wow some fantastic blog posts here on your summer learning journey! Being British I had no idea of just how music is a massive part of Maori culture! It is so special I love Kapa haka! Really enjoyed reading your posts about New Zealand's culture and heritage! I also love Waiata!My Fav is Te Aroha!
    Look forward to reading more of your posts!
    Mrs B :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.