Pages

Monday 15 January 2018

Summer Learning - 15-01-18

Summer Learning Journey 2018

Week Three: The Post War Era (1951-1999)

Day Eleven: White Picket Fences (The 1950s)
15-01-18

Image result for meat and three vegActivity 1: Meat and Three Veg
During the 1950s, women mostly stayed home and looked after the children. Many women cooked dinners with a special 'meat and three veg' rule, where dinner consisted of a piece of meat and three different vegetables.

I think the meat and three veg rule is a good rule, as it would lead to a healthy and balanced diet. A lot of the meals I have with my family consist of one type of meat and a few veggies, so I would enjoy having these meals most of the week, but I also enjoy the occasional less healthy options.


Activity 2: What's in a Name?
Over the 50s, New Zealand's population grew by 400,000 people. This time period is sometimes referred to as the baby bloom, because so many babies were born.
Some popular names at the time were:
Girls
Boys
Christine
Susan
Margaret
Judith
Jennifer
John
David
Peter
Michael
Robert

These names aren't particularly popular at my school, and I don't personally know of anyone at school with any of these names. Some names that are currently popular at my school are: Sophie, Michaela (also spelt Mackayla, and Mickayla), Danielle, Jordan, Jack, and Junior.


Bonus Activity: Snail Mail
In the 50's, the most common method of communication was letter writing. Between 1950 and 1960, over 200 million letters and postcards were sent from New Zealanders.

Here is a postcard I have made:
I have chosen to put Aotearoa instead of New Zealand as it is the Maori name for NZ, and Maori is part of our country's culture. I have included pictures of a pavlova, L&P, and chocolate fish as they are some of New Zealand's own foods and drink. I have included pictures of some scenery as New Zealand is known for its pretty views. Barbecuing is very popular, the kiwi is one of New Zealand's native birds, and our flag is an important part of our history.

11 comments:

  1. Kia Crystal, my name is Amie I am also participating in the SMJ. Wow! your post seems very detailed and full of colours, which I like. It made me think about me publishing these posts too. Have you thought about posting these in separate posts? Nice job!
    From: Amie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia Ora Chrystal,

    It's Georgia here from the Kaikohekohe Cluster. It's awesome to see you've completed another three activities with the Summer Learning Journey!

    I like your reasoning for being in favour of the meat and three veg rule, I also think it's a great way to have a balanced diet and ensure you are giving your body the nutrition it needs to function well. If you could choose three vegetables to have with your dinner, what would they be? I personally love kumara, potatoes and onions, especially when they are roasted with garlic and herbs. Yum!

    That's interesting that the popular names have changed so much over time. I have a friend called Sophie that I live with in a flat in Wellington during the year. That's where I go to University. When I was at high school, a lot of popular names were of Maori origin, as over 60% of the students at my school were Maori.

    Great work with your postcard! I'm very impressed that you explained in such detail what you included and why you did. I especially like that you included 'Greeting from Aotearoa', that was an awesome idea. Ka pai!

    I'm thrilled to see you put so much effort into your work this summer and I hope you're very happy with yourself! Keep it up Crystal.

    Nga mihi
    Georgia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Georgia,

      If I could chose three veggies I would probably choose carrots, kumera, and cabbage. I don't really like boiled potatoes, but I don't mind roasted ones.

      Thank you :)
      Crystal

      Delete
  3. Tena koe Krystal,
    My father and law is such a meat and three vege person and in fact he had never tried Sushi, Indian or any other foods when I first met him. Do you have meat and three vege for your meals at night normally? We would most nights.

    I really enjoyed your postcard, have you ever seen a live kiwi? I love pavlova especially with lots of whipped cream.
    Well done on completing so many activities, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi.

      Yeah most nights we have meat and three veg.

      I've seen some live kiwi's at Willowbank, have you?

      Thanks,
      Crystal

      Delete
  4. Kia ora Krystal,
    I am from Whangarei and work in the schools in the Kaikohekohe cluster. Georgia shared your latest summer learning journey post on Google + and encouraged me to check out your work. I can see why she was so impressed! You've worked really hard over summer and are posting some great quality work. I am a vegetarian and don't eat meat at all. I do love seafood though. I wonder if there were many vegetarians back in the 1950's?? What do you think... My Dad's name was Peter and he was born in the late 1940's so my Grandma must have liked the popular names back then. My sons name is Jordan and is middle name is Tyler, he is 21 now so it seems like those names have stayed popular for some time! Great effort on the postcard. It really stands out as something special from Aotearoa, I am sure it would be exciting to receive that in the mail! When my Mum goes on holiday overseas she still sends us postcards which we love getting. Have you ever got a postcard in the mail?
    Tania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Tania,

      Thank you :)

      I think I would consider being a vegeterian, my aunty is. What made you decide to be one? I'm not keen on seafood at all though :)

      I have had a few postcards sent in the mail from various family members, it's nice getting stuff in the mail.

      Crystal

      Delete
    2. Hi Crystal,
      Thanks for replying to my comment. I became a vegetarian when I was pregnant! The smell of meat made me feel sick and I haven't been able to eat it since. Great to hear you have received postcards, yes it is nice getting stuff in the mail. When I was young I had a penpal. We wrote each other letters and it was great to get the mail. Have you heard of a 'penpal'? Maybe your Mum or Dad had one when they were young too.
      Tania

      Delete
    3. Hi Tania,

      That's interesting, do you think you'll ever eat meat again?

      That's really cool, where was your penpal from?

      Crystal

      Delete
    4. Good question Crystal - I don't think I could eat meat again, it's been 22 years! I do like the smell of bacon cooking but it hasn't tempted me to taste it again. My pen pal was from Tauranga.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.