Pages

Wednesday 17 January 2018

Summer Learning - 17-01-18

Summer Learning Journey 2018

Image result for ready to rollDay Thirteen: Groovy Man (The 1970's)
17-01-18

Activity 1: Ready to Roll
During the 70's, one of the most popular T.V shows was 'Ready To Roll', hosted by Roger Gascoigne. It aired on Saturday afternoons, and it showed new music videos and occasionally, some famous singers would come on the show to sing their current hits.


#1 - Ray Columbus and the Invaders - She's A Mod, 1964
I chose this clip as number one because I've known this song for a really long time, and I like it. The clip was interesting as the band were very passionate about their song, dancing with some crazy moves.

#2 - Sittin' In The Rain 1967
This was number two because I thought the camera angles were the most evolved out of the three. The forest setting was nice, and the band looked like they were having fun.

#3 - The Film Archive Ready To Roll Golden Harvest
I chose this as number three because I found it the most boring. Even though I didn't like it, the clip was still colourful and fun, but I didn't like the song quite as much as She's A Mod. The lead singer was really into the song, dancing all around the stage excitedly.


Activity 2: Bell Bottom Pants
The fashion of the 70's was quite unique and strange. There were bright colours, and a popular item of clothing: bell bottom pants.

Image result for clothing in the 1970s 
Image result for men's clothing in the 1970s 
I like the nice colours in the fashion of the 70's. Nowdays, a lot of clothing worn are quite bland in colour.
The different types of shirts, blouses, and skirts worn were quite nice, and I like the vibe they have.
I don't really like the bell bottom pants on the men, but they looked okay on the women.
I don't like the patterned pants some men wore back then, they're a bit too much.


Bonus Activity: A Bilingual Schooling System
For most of the 1900's, English was the only language taught at New Zealand schools. One woman from Nga Tamatoa: Mrs Hana Jackson wanted a change, so in 1972 she submitted a petition to the government proposed that Maori language and culture became a part of the curriculum.

One thing I would like to change at my school is to have more language classes available. This is my letter to the principal:

Dear Mr Sutton,
My name is Crystal Edminstin and I am a year 11 student here at Hornby High School.
I am writing to propose the inclusion of more language classes into our curriculum.
I believe that the students of Hornby High should have the option of taking different language classes, other than just Maori and Japanese.
I currently take Japanese and I enjoy it, but I also would've loved to have taken French, Spanish, or Chinese.
I hope that one day Hornby makes those classes an option.
Thank you for reading and considering,
Crystal.

5 comments:

  1. Hi there Crystal,

    Jade F here from the Summer Learning Journey. Well done on completing another set of tasks!

    Activity One- I really liked how you organised the music clips clearly and included an explanation that supported why you ranked the music clips the way you did. I’ve heard of the song by Ray Columbus and the Invaders before as well too and it’s such a good song!

    Activity Two- I thought your opinion on bell bottom pants was very well thought out. I agreed with your point that you wrote about men wearing bell bottom pants, I didn’t think it suited them that well! The women on the other hand really suited the bell bottom pants better. In fact I have a friend that wears bell bottom jeans and she loves them. Would you wear them if you had the chance?

    Bonus Activity- I thought your letter to the principal about having more language subjects in school was very good. I reckon it’s a brilliant idea to have more languages taught at school. More students would be interested in learning a language if there were more options like French or Spanish. I did French and Maori in high school and I really enjoyed it. How’s Japanese class? That would be a very interesting class to do and such a cool language to learn! Is it challenging or is it easy?

    Looking forward to hearing from you Crystal, keep up the blogging! :)

    All the best,
    Jade F :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jade,

    I used to have bell bottom jeans when I was little and I wore them all the time :)

    I would love to take French at school, sometimes I do some practice on it at home. I would love to visit France one day.

    Japanese is really fun, but is challenging sometimes too. In July this year 10 students from school are going on a trip to Japan for 2 week, which is going to be super fun but scary too!

    Thanks,
    Crystal :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Crystal! I hope you're having a fabulous summer holiday!

    Can I just say, that as a 1970s baby (yes, I am super old), my mum has some truly horrendous photos of me wearing the most videos of 70s fashions. Luckily she, and the photos, are far far away from New Zealand! I'm not sure that decade was a good one for fashion, but it did come up with some cracking stuff like Star Wars, Jaws, and of course music including Blondie and ABBA.
    I'm really enjoying your blog Crystal, will see you in a couple of weeks back at school!
    Ms Boothby ☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. *videos = vile
    Stupid autocorrect!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.