Pages

Thursday 18 January 2018

Summer Learning - 18-01-18

Summer Learning Journey 2018
Image result for hairy maclary

Day Fourteen: Perms and Lyrca (The 1980's)
18-01-18

Activity 1: Hairy Maclary
Published in 1983, Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy written by Lynley Dodd was one of the most famous childrens books to come from New Zealand ever. It is now sold all over the world.

Finishing the story:
“Out of the gate and off for a walk went Hairy Maclary from Donaldson’s Dairy…”
He called out a greeting to his friends Hercules Morse and Bottomley Potts, who happily hopped along down the hot sidewalk. "Oh hello Mr Maclary!" They called back, smiling from ear to ear. "Have you seen Slinky Malinki around? I hear he's causing some trouble with Scarface Claw!" Hercules whispered, shakily. "I'm right on it!" Hairy bravely replied, rushing off to where he knew Slinky would be. He turned the corner into the dark alley, shivering as a sharp wind blew right through him. "Just as I thought." Muttered Hairy to himself, spying Slinky Malinki slinking around his hideout with Hairy's biggest enemy Scarface Claw. They were surrounded by piles of sparkly jewelry and more, obviously stolen. He didn't know Slinky had a new partner in crime, and he was worried he wouldn't be able to convert the two baddest cats in town back onto the good side. He noticed the two cats glaring at him, their sharp yellow eyes piercing through his own blue eyes. "Well look what the cat dragged in Malinki." Scarface hissed, sauntered over to him. "Hello Scarface." Hairy said calmly, showing no fear. "Give back the stuff." "Why should we?" Slinky replied, coming over to support his friend. "Nothing good will come from this thievery. Remember when we all used to be friends? What happened to that?" Hairy argued, desperately wanting to get through to his friends. They looked visibly shaken, and looked at each other remembering the past. After many attempts to help them, Hairy Maclary was finally successful, and the three friends strolled out back to Donaldson's Dairy together, living happily ever after.


Activity 2: The Big 'OE'
Image result for eiffel towerIn the 80's it was becoming more common for students who had just finished high school to go on an OE (Overseas Experience) for a year to travel the world, then return home to study.

If I was a student back in the 80's about to go on an OE, I would love to visit Paris, France. I have wanted to go there since I was really little, and hope that I get to one day. I would love to see the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, the Notre Dame, and the Arc de Triomphe, as they are super pretty and full of history. I would also like to interact and engage in conversations with locals, as I have been practicing a bit of French at home and really like speaking it. Trying French delicacies like Escargots de Bourgogne (snails baked in shells with parsley butter) and Bœuf bourguignon (beef stewed in red wine) would be really cool too.

Image result for arc de triomphe Image result for notre dame cathedral Image result for louvre


Image result for emma watson quotes if not meBonus Activity: The 4 O'Clock News
Te Karere, a Maori news television show premiered in 1982. It still airs on TV One at 3.55pm on weekdays. Most of the time the show is hosted by Scotty Morrison.

If I was Scotty Morrison and I could interview anyone I wanted, I would love to interview Emma Watson. On top of starring in some pretty cool movies and being an awesome actress, she is also a Goodwill Ambassador for UN Women. She does a lot of work on gender equality rights, and has also launched an initiative called HeForShe, encouraging boys and men to fight for women's rights too. She would have a lot of amazing stories to tell, and I would love to hear her talk about what she is passionate about.

5 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Crystal,

    Cadence here from the Summer Learning Journey team!

    Activity 1: I loved reading your story of Hairy Maclary! My favourite book growing up too! A very intriguing story! I love the crime fighting swing you’ve put on things :)
    I can definitely see Slinky and Scarface teaming up to cause trouble. Very creative story Crystal, nice work.

    Activity 2: Fantastic this is exactly what we love to read Crystal, places you want to go and things you want to see! I’m sure you will visit there one day! I’ve actually tried snails before. There isn’t much flavour to them, that’s why there is always a fancy sauce. They are very chewy!

    Activity 3: Awesome, it would be incredible to interview Emma Watson. She is a very intelligent woman and amazing role model for many people! AND can’t forget, extremely talented. I’m curious, what are some questions you would ask her?
    I would find it a very interesting discussion.

    Fun fact: Emma Watson has a degree in English Literature, she graduated from Brown University in Rhode!

    Best wishes,

    Cadence :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cadence,

      Thank you very much.

      Some questions I would ask Emma would be:
      What made you decide to become an activist?
      When you were younger what did you want to be when you grew up?
      Who are your biggest role models?
      What is your greatest life achievement?

      Thanks,
      Crystal :)

      Delete
  2. Hi, my name is Jess and I go to Kumara School in Greymouth and I am 11 years old. I am doing the summer learning journey too but I have finished. It is funny that you sad that you wanted to go to Paris because that is were I wanted to go as well and see the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, and the Arc de Triomphe. I think that France would be fun.Have you ever been there? Maybe you could say why you would like to see them things.If you would like to look at my blog go to
    http://kumarastevensonj.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jess,

      This is Jade C from the Summer Learning Journey. It's awesome to see your comment on other students' blog posts and giving them helpful feedback! Going to Paris sounds fabulous, I too want to go to Paris and eat croissants! :)

      All the best,
      Jade C.

      Delete
    2. Hi Jess!

      Thank you very much.

      Yes Paris would be awesome to visit. No I haven't been there before but I would love to, and I hope you get to aswell!

      I'll have a look at your blog, I'm sure it's awesome!

      Crystal :)

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.