Pages

Friday 19 January 2018

Summer Learning - 19-01-18

Summer Learning Journey 2018

Day Fifteen: Maintaining the Status Quo (The 1990's)
19-01-18

Activity 1: Hiking Tongariro
One of New Zealand's most popular national parks, Tongariro, was listed as a world heritage site in 1990. Thousands of people hike the Tongariro Crossing every year.

Image result for tongariro crossingOn the hike you would need to bring:

  • Food and plenty of water
  • Waterproof jacket and pants
  • Sturdy boots
  • Warm clothing; thermals and fleece
  • Warm hat and gloves
  • Sunscreen and sunglasses
  • First aid kit
  • Map
  • Cellphone
Before the trip you need to:
  • Plan the route you'll take
  • Tell someone where you're going and approximately how long you'll be
  • Know what the weather is supposed to do
  • Make sure you have enough supplies
  • Know your limits



Activity 2: Leading New Zealand
In the 1990's, there were four different prime ministers: Geoffrey Palmer, Mike Moore, Jim Bolger and Jenny Shipley.

Leading New Zealand

Image result for jenny shipley

Name of Prime Minister: Jenny Shipley
Date of Birth: February 4, 1952

Political Party: National Party
Number of Years as Prime Minister: 2

Three interesting facts about my chosen Prime Minister: 

  • Jenny was the first female prime minister in New Zealand.
  • She became a dame in 2009.
  • She was born in Gore, Southland, and graduated from Christchurch Teachers College in 1972.



Bonus Activity: You Have to Pay to Play
For the first time ever in 1990, universities and polytechnics starting charging students to study with them. Students now have to pay thousands to attend post secondary schools. The new Labour government have promised students the first three years of their education free by 2020.
Image result for university
I think it makes sense that there are fees to attend university, but it would be great for many people if there weren't. Staff need to be payed, and resources need to be paid for. Most uni students have a student loan for many years after they finish studying, which takes up a lot of their time and money. I hope by the time I go to uni, the government have put in place their policy for three years free.

10 comments:

  1. Hi, my name is Jess and I go to kumara School in Greymouth and I am 11 years old.I am doing the summer learning journey too but I have finished. I agree that you would need warm cloves and sunscreen because the weather can change there.Maybe next time you could say if you would like to do it. If you want to look at my blog go to
    http://kumarastevensonj.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jess,

      This is Jade C from the Summer Learning Journey blogging team! It's awesome to see you reading and commenting on other students' blog posts. You have given some helpful feed back to Crystal. Keep up the great work :)

      Cheers,
      Jade C.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jess :)

      Delete
  2. Hi there Crystal,

    Jade F here from the Summer Learning Journey team! Good job on completing another set of tasks!

    Activity 1- Awesome effort on your list of things to take on a hiking trip! I thought every item you had on that list would be absolutely essential to have on a hike! I would probably also want to take a friend with me, because I like to have conversations while I'm walking, it makes the time go by quicker. Have you ever been on a hiking trip before? I haven't but I would love to one day! The Tongariro crossing would definitely be a hiking trip that I would like to do.

    Activity 2- I thought your profile on Jenny Shipley was very well done! Your facts that you included were all very interesting! I especially liked the fact about how she is a Teachers College graduate! I graduated university last year and I was studying to be a teacher as well!

    Bonus activity- Brilliant work on your response on whether or not students should pay university fees. You made some really good points about staff and resources need to get paid for and that it makes sense that students should contribute to paying towards those. What would you like to study at university? I graduated university last year and I was studying primary teaching. :)

    Looking forward to hearing from you and keep up the good work Crystal!

    All the best,
    Jade F :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jade!

      Yeah I would probably take a friend too, and if I didn't maybe some music to make the hike more interesting. I don't think I've ever been hiking before other than short ones on school camps, but I would love to go to the Tongariro Crossing!

      I think I might like to study law at university, but I'm not quite sure yet. Teaching also interests me, what was it like for you?

      Thanks,
      Crystal :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Crystal,

      Thanks for the reply! That's awesome that you would like to study law, it's a very interesting profession to study! That's also brilliant that you would be interested in teaching! Studying teaching was really fun for me, it does have its challenges but what profession doesn't have challenges? You learn so much about the different subjects at school and the different ways to teach it in a classroom, it's a lot of fun! :)

      Cheers,
      Jade F :)

      Delete
  3. Kia Ora Crystal,

    My name is Hazel and I am another member of the Summer Learning Journey team. It looks like you've been doing a great job with all of the activities so far. Keep up the great work!

    You have written a very comprehensive packing list for people who might hike the Tongariro Crossing. Ka pai! Have you been to the Tongariro Crossing before? Or maybe you have been on a different long hike? I hiked the Tongariro Crossing a few years ago and it was very tough! I am glad I took lots of water with me because it was very hot. Why do you think it is important for people to tell someone where they are going when they go out hiking?

    I think that you have done a great job of your profile of Jenny Shipley. I did not know that she went to teachers' college.

    It's clear that you have put a lot of thought into your reasoning about university fees. I too, wish that it was free to attend, but I also understand why here are fees. Hopefully by the time that you get there, there will be no fees! What do you plan to study?

    I look forward to reading more of your posts!

    Hazel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hazel!

      I've never been to the Tongariro Crossing or on a long hike before, but I would love to. I think it's important to tell someone where you're going and how long you'll be so that if there is an accident and you aren't back by a certain time they know something has happened and they'll have a head start in sorting it out.

      I would like to study either law or teaching, I'm not sure yet.

      Thank you,
      Crystal :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Crystal,

      I would definitely recommend the Tongario Crossing; the views are amazing, and you walk right past the base of Mt Ngauruhoe which was used in Lord of the Rings!

      I think you're right about why it's important to tell someone where you are going. If people don't know what time you are due back, they won't know when to start looking for you if you don't return.

      I just finished studying teaching last year and I loved it! I can't wait to start working as a teacher this year.

      All the best for the rest of the SLJ and your future studies :)

      Hazel

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.