Pages

Sunday 17 September 2017

English - Recount On A Challenge I Have Faced

Recount
A Challenge I Have Faced

It was a chilly, wintry morning, and I was standing alone at the starting line. I was a small fish in a big pond, surrounded by sharks. I was about to compete in the 10km Christchurch Marathon run, and I was a petrified student about to sit an exam. I had barely trained, and I was unfit, unprepared, and unaware of the pain I was about to go through. My insides were butterflies, fluttering around in nervousness. I could hear other competitors mummering around me, and I could see the dark rain clouds threatening to empty themselves down on us. The hosts voice was roaring through the speakers, giving us a rundown of the race. Then he started counting down, and everyone joined in simultaneously. Six, five, four, three, they called like children chorusing good morning to the teacher. Boom! The gun went off, and the race had started. We all moved through the gates like cattle being rounded up. Some sprinted off to lead the pack while others, including me, started off at a reasonable jog. My goal was to get through the whole race without stopping, but I wasn’t too convinced I would be able to. I was estimating that it would take me about 1:45, which is pretty poor, but I wasn’t at all prepared.

After the first one or two kilometres, the misery began. I had never been a keen runner, and I wanted to give up right then and there, but I knew I had to keep going. Rain was pelting down, and it felt like it would never end. I fought through the torture for six kilometres, then I passed a sign that said Two Kilometres To Go. I cried in despair, I still had so long to go! My legs were aching, and my heart was beating so fast I thought it was going to burst through its cage and out my chest. I could feel sweat dripping down my skin, and my mouth was dry and parched. My feet were dragging, and my earphones, once my motivators, dangled limply. I pushed on, my mind ticking like a clock, willing my legs to keep moving, willing my heart to stay strong. I ran through the pain and exhaustion, and finally arrived at the home stretch.

I sprinted as fast as my legs could handle, and my heart almost stopped when I saw the timer. 1:03! I had done it in an hour! I dashed through the finish line as the announcer called my name, and I almost fell to the ground in relief. My head whooshed as I came to a stop, and I was dizzy and aching. My legs were jelly, wobbling and quivering, but I was so proud, it felt as if I could run ten more! My dad ran over and hugged me, and I was as elated as a puppy with a new toy. I was victorious, a lion who had just captured his prey! I was dripping wet, caked in sweat, and as run down as a house just hit by a hurricane, but I was also dizzy with content. All around me were glorious competitors who were either buzzing with excitement, or laying limply and defeated on the ground. I could hear encouragements and congratulations, and the whole atmosphere was thrilling. I will definitely be back next year!

1 comment:

  1. Crystal
    Nice, I enjoyed reading this piece. As a former half marathon runner, I can relate easily to the scene you have described. I like the way you have appealed to a range of senses. Two things that I also recall are the smell.. the sweat, the smell of humanity packed closely together when you are running in a group... and the sound of the feet hitting the ground in that regular measured cadence. A nice piece of work.. keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.